Managing trillions of objects in storage, retrieving them in sub-x ms, building software that deploys to tens of thousands of hosts, achieving 99.999999999% (you didn't read that wrong, that's 11 nines!) durability. These are just a few of the numbers that give you a sense of the scale of the exciting problems you will find every day working in Simple Storage Service (S3). Amazon S3 powers businesses across the globe that make the lives of consumers better daily. Whether its electronic content delivered to your home, technology that betters your remote working experience, allows you to plan travel to exotic places or simply get stuff delivered to your home.
As a Systems Development Engineer in the S3 Distribution Plane team, you will deliver services at scale to delight our customers and support the routing of billions of requests per minute to S3's globally distributed server fleet. You will have the opportunity to design and develop systems and services in the domains of DNS, IP and Network Connectivity, TLS Certificates, VPC Endpoints and Private Connectivity. You will work alongside engineers and leaders who obsess about operations, performance, availability, scalability, and durability of customer data. Our services run at scale worldwide and as a member of this team, you will have the opportunity to ship code often, and see the impact your code has on a wide range of S3 customers.
Day to day you will be responsible for designing, delivering and maintaining the operational health of our services, maintaining our build & release systems, and ensuring maximum up-time for our developers and customers. You will provide coaching and mentoring for junior engineers and participate in design reviews, operations meetings and leadership discussions. You will partner with service teams across AWS to build ground-breaking DNS, networking and security solutions in code for S3. You will work closely with the likes of Amazon Route 53, AWS EC2 and AWS Networking to achieve the combined goals of AWS and S3. You will transcend a single organization in order to deliver solutions that require broader integration across AWS. For this reason, thinking big and thinking outside of S3 is one of the key tenets you will have to practise on a daily basis.
As a Systems Development Engineer in our team, you are constantly striving to raise our operational bar and improve our infrastructure, enabling our teams to move faster. Your responsibilities will include:
• Developing tools to streamline operations as we scale to reduce operational load and improve our overall operational posture. Influencing & driving operational excellence and best practices within the organization.
• Identifying ways to increase the automate and improve our test infrastructure and make our CI/CD more robust and flexible.
• Playing a key role in investigating and recommending best practices for maintaining and improving code quality, fleet health, and security & reliability of our service.
• Growing our talent through actively mentor junior system development engineers, improving their skills, their knowledge of our systems, and their ability to get things done.
• Sharing your knowledge with wider teams and writing clear and concise documentation to allow other system development engineers to get the most out of the service and tools.
Our team works together to provide work/life balance for all team members. We recognize that the circumstances of our team members vary, and we balance work across the team so that we're all able to maintain high standards on behalf of our customers, while at the same time allowing for rich and happy personal lives.
In AWS, if you build it, you own it. S3 is a highly available 7x24 worldwide service requiring dedicated support from our engineering teams. We pride ourselves on a high level of ownership in the work we do. This means we hold a high bar for test automation, verification processes, design and code reviews to ensure that our systems meet the exacting standards our customers demand. We maintain a regular on-call rotation across our teams with engineers and managers all taking part to resolve the inevitable issues that arise. We work hard to minimize getting paged in the middle of the night as we recognize that a well-rested employee is a productive employee.
Upon joining S3, every employee is paired with a peer buddy who will help you to quickly come up to speed in understanding the technology we're building, the tools we use and the business problems we're trying to solve. We hire exceptional people and we recognize the importance of coaching others. We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, and job level. On our internal "Broadcast" video streaming website, you'll find countless presentations by some of the brightest minds in computing discussing solutions to many of the exciting problems we're solving in AWS today with new live-streaming videos added every week.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, PowerShell, Ruby
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• 2+ years of experience as a Systems Engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, Dev Ops Engineer or equivalent.
• Experience working with scalable infrastructure software for commercial online services.
• Hands-on experience building monitoring, alerting, dashboards, and metrics reporting.
• Experience implementing SRE/DevOps concepts, tools, processes, and culture.
• Experience integrating tools and systems with APIs.
• The ability to deal with ambiguity and drive, design, implement, and maintain large scale systems.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Law Enforcement and Security Quality Assurance