STO-RE 24R - Coast Scaling, Billing and Log Export Specialist Position Classification
Scientific/Tech Off R24 - Res Union
Multiple Locations, BC CA
Nanaimo, BC V9T 6L8 CA (Primary)Salary Range
$66,557.72 - $75,884.38 annually Close Date
5/31/2022 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Forests Ministry Branch / Division
West Coast Region | Pricing Section Job Summary Coast Scaling, Billing and Log Export Specialist
Scientific Technical Officer (Resource) 24
This position is located in Nanaimo, BC; other locations may be considered, subject to Ministry operational requirements.
An eligibility list may be established to fill future, similar vacancies.
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .You are committed to excellence in sustainable forest management
The Ministry of Forests has a mandate to manage specified Crown land and resources in a manner that embraces the economic, environmental and social goals of government. These results are all essential to improving the global competitiveness of BC industry and our ability to attract private investment and to stimulate economic growth and job creation across the province.
The Provincial Timber Pricing Program is focused on addressing the Ministry's mandate under the Ministry of Forests and Range Act; specifically, to assert the financial interests of the Crown in its forest resources in a systematic and equitable manner. The Coast Area Pricing Team is responsible for oversight of timber pricing within the Coast Forest Region of British Columbia. The Team's program areas include timber cruising, stumpage appraisals, timber scaling, logging waste residue, invoice billing, log export authorizations, and marine log salvage. The Team is also responsible for revenue oversight, minimizing revenue risk, and ensuring revenue accuracy while promoting forest sector competitiveness.
The Coast Scaling, Billing and Log Export Specialist role is part of the Coast Area Pricing Team. This position is responsible for leading the Scaling, Billing, Log Export, and Marine Log Salvage programs. The role reports to the Pricing Section Head and is responsible for the supervision of the regional billing and scaling staff. The Specialist role requires expertise in timber scaling and the many complexities associated with scaling and transportation of timber within the Coast Area. This position also requires expertise in invoice billing, log export authorizations, marine log salvage and working with a wide range of Forest Sector clients and Ministry staff. This position may require field review of timber scaling and transportation activities.
A career with the Ministry of Forests offers an exceptional opportunity to undertake a variety of challenging and rewarding roles, while supporting a healthy work/life balance. Explore the opportunities and value working with our team can offer you: Why work for the Ministry of Forests .
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Fred.vonWestarp@gov.bc.ca
. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
Information and tips about how to complete your job application, including adding or editing your resume and applying for jobs, are available at the following link: Your Job Application . If you still experience technical difficulties applying for a competition, please send an email to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time
, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For information about the Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service please visit: Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service - Province of British Columbia .
Vancouver Island's Harbour City, Nanaimo , maintains a small town charm for such a bustling city hub. Quaint boutiques, waterfront ice cream parlours and even big box stores offer such convenience you never have to leave (and why would you want to?!). Nanaimo has year-round activities, from camping, hiking, mountain biking and water sports (including the famous annual bathtub race), to snowshoeing, snowmobiling and skiing at nearby Mount Washington. For a destination with big city convenience and small town charm, Nanaimo is the place to be.
Come, be a part of the BC Public Service, a Top 100 Employer that embraces diversity, health and career growth. For more information, please visit What the BC Public Service Offers .NOTE:
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.JOB REQUIREMENTS:
To be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the following:Required Education & Experience:
Preference may be given to those with one or more of the following:
- Bachelor's Degree or Diploma in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, or other directly related discipline as recognized by the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals (ABCFP) AND a minimum of 5 years of directly related experience; OR,
- Secondary school graduation or equivalent, AND a minimum of 7 years of directly related experience.Note: directly related experience means operational experience from the Coast of British Columbia in timber scaling and/or timber transportation activities while employed in the Forestry Sector or with government.
- A valid Coastal Scaling Licence and a minimum of 5 years of practical timber scaling experience as a licensed scaler.
- Registered, or immediately eligible for registration, as a Registered Forest Technologist (RFT), or equivalent, with the ABCFP. Note: immediately eligible for registration is defined as being able to transfer a current membership from an applicable jurisdiction to the ABCFP within six months of employment.
- Experience in technical analysis, report writing, and leading/supervising teams comprised of professional and technical staff.
- Must be willing and able to travel for work.
- Must possess and maintain a valid BC Class 5 Driver's Licence, or equivalent.
- A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Cover Letter: NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history, including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) and your job related responsibilities for each job in your employment history, and any relevant information that relates to this position.Questionnaire (Comprehensive): YES
- As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements listed in the job profile. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire. Note:
for long or essay style questionnaires, we recommend saving frequently while completing it. You can also copy the questions into another document, complete it offline, then log back in and copy/paste your responses when you are ready to submit your application.IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements.
Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history, including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your job related responsibilities, accountabilities and accomplishments. Ensure your questionnaire responses are complete as your resume may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.Job Category
Leadership and Management, Natural Resource Sector, Policy, Research and Economics, Scientific and Technical, Trades and Operational
Management and Executive