Do you possess a passion for e-commerce, an obsession to make customers happy, and at the same time an ability to solve intrinsically hard technology problems ? Are you excited by the idea of directly influencing the foundation for Amazon's future retail technology?
We are looking for a Business Intelligence Engineer (BIE) to work with internal stakeholders to provide data insights into our business. You will partner with team members across multiple disciplines including Product Management, Finance, Marketing, and Operations to develop new solutions. Our team is responsible for growing an innovative, confidential, and global project that uncovers and solves endemic problems in business and technology.
As a BIE, you equip our team with the tools they need to gain insights from our business data. You act as a team-wide asset for expertise on creating and maintaining our data repositories and reporting frameworks. You're not afraid to roll up your sleeves and do what is necessary to deliver business insights. Core to your role is understanding the business needs for data and making data accessible and available to be interpreted. You are skilled at influencing technical and business teams and when confronted with discordant views, you are able to find the best way forward and build consensus. On top of this, you're skilled at articulating your thoughts both in verbal in written form.
In this role, you solve data analysis problems of the broader organization and skillfully flex among various tools according to the problem and data. You help Amazon improve by deriving recommendations from analysis and recommending mechanisms that encourage a data-driven culture.
This role will be a good fit if you...
- have a passion for eCommerce and data analysis
- have hands-on experience with various SQL and no-SQL data technologies, frameworks, and products
- have a demonstrated ability to derive insights out of data and anecdotes
- are entrepreneurial, optimistic, and like the challenges associated with working with ambiguity
- have an ability to decompose complex data sets into straightforward insights and metrics
- can understand business problems and immediately visualize the dashboard you will build to track their impact
- are a creative problem solver who can work with limited supervision
- have an analytical mind and are able to communicate complex issues in a concise way
- have the ability to work with technical and non-technical business owners to get things done
- are a skilled business and data-driven communicator, comfortable presenting across all levels of the organization
Key job responsibilities
- Liaise with various internal and external teams to gather data-relevant requirements
- Build and execute on an analytics roadmap to provide data to stakeholders including finance, marketing, technology, and operations
- Own the definition of key business metrics, with input from internal stakeholders
- Design, implement, and support data and reporting technology that provides business teams ad-hoc access to large data sets from multiple sources; influence the organization's underlying BI architecture
- Run projects to interpret and analyze data and provide insights to stakeholders
- Understand business problems and find ways to visualize data in a way that stakeholders can discern the significance of information provided
- Streamline and automate the sharing of data-driven findings
- Proactively drive team-wide data insights reviews
- Standardize data and report creation/consumption across the team
- Prepare written recommendations to improve and innovate on the analytics experience to be shared with senior leadership
- Innovates and improves processes, simplifying and automating repetitive tasks
- Bachelor's degree in a business or technical field
- Training, certification, or extensive experience with data analytics tools
- Working experience using Excel, Tableau, Quicksight, or similar BI tools
- 5+ years of professional experience in business intelligence engineering
- Proficiency with data querying or modelling technique with SQL
- Proficiency with a scripting language (Java, Python, or R)
- Background in process improvement, and/or consulting
- Track record of handling changing priorities and showing good judgement
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Exposure to one of the following areas: eCommerce, Retail, Enterprise Software and the analytics capabilities used in those industries
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.