Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers tens of thousands of businesses around the world! The messaging team owns and operates Simple Queue Service(SQS) among other core messaging services which provides AWS customers with the cloud infrastructure for building highly scalable, asynchronous and fault tolerant cloud applications. It's a core architectural component for Amazon as well as many leading global enterprises running on AWS. If you are passionate about the challenges of big scale, building cutting edge technologies and making developing applications easy and reliable then the AWS Messaging team is for you.
We are looking for a Software Development Manager to lead and define the technical direction, and follow through with detailed architecture, build exceptional teams and drive operation excellence of a massive scale (think multi-million TPS) system.
How do you know if you are a good fit for us? You are fascinated by and want to innovate in fault-tolerant systems that operate at scale. You love customers. When our customers ask for the next big feature, you know this means you'll be able to truly dig into the solution and get it done right. You love owning the project from idea to production. You enjoy collaborating with your teammates. You love working in agile programming environments and running fast to deliver evolution for your AWS services.
Key responsibilities include:
- Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed project plans and schedules; manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team by defining, implementing and maintaining a coherent, progressive strategy for our product line.
- Delivery of quality applications on-time and on-budget
- Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
- Evolution of the software engineering practice within the organization, including better reporting, tools, and evolution of methodology
- Continue to build an effective organization by driving the recruiting and hiring of senior level engineers, developing and managing the group, and conducting performance reviews of team members
- Create and execute appropriate quality plans, project plans, test strategies and processes for activities in concert with business and project management efforts.
- Drive and manage the bug triage process, represent team in project meetings to ensure efficient testing and bug fixing process, and be an effective advocate for the group
- Report on status of product quality to management, customer support and product teams via rigorous execution of detailed plans and accurate reporting of test cases executed, bugs discovered, bugs fixed, etc.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee- led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of software experience, as a developer or manager
- 2+ years of experience as a people manager
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and sense of ownership
- MS, Ph.D. in Computer Science or a relevant technical discipline or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience as a software development manager
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming