The Middle-Midle Transportation Technology team builds the underlying technology that powers Amazon's middle-mile network across the globe. The Planning and Network team owns systems that take demand for middle-mile freight movements for Amazon and produces a plan that meets demand and supply constraints while minimizing costs and manual effort required to generate vehicle movement plans. This is a unique opportunity to work on cutting edge NP Hard problems/Algorithms that saves Amazon MM of $ in freight movements.
The ideal SDE will be instrumental in shaping the product direction, developing and tuning algorithms with research scientists, collaborate with stakeholders to model the planning components, and develop scalable systems that help us build a planning flywheel - highest performance, at the lowest cost, and with the best delivery experience. You will work with other tech teams to model and consume inputs such as carrier supply, cost/rates, transit times, and distances in an efficient and automated fashion. The work done on the team will help our transportation systems scale beyond just road transportation to Air, Rail and Ocean to build a truly multi-modal global transportation network.
- Work closely with senior engineers, product managers and business stakeholders to design and implement highly available web services
- Work with research science to develop and model new planning related algorithms
- Lead a small team of engineers and lead execution of projects while ensuring that engineering best practices are followed
- Assist directly and indirectly in the continual hiring and mentoring of other SDEs
The ideal candidate will be passionate about solving complex optimization problems and architecting and implementing highly-available distributed systems. You obsess about the customer experience and the needs of the business. Finally, you have a strong focus on operational excellence and take pride in building maintainable systems at scale.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Technical experience and interest in optimization problems
- Background in math and modeling
- Experience with routing algorithms and transportation systems and software
- Solid fundamentals in algorithms and data structures
- Experience building highly scalable, highly available distributed systems
- Experience with Relational or NoSQL databases
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Software and Programming