Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking a talented and passionate Lead UX Designer to join our growing design and research studio. This user experience team role will have a significant impact on our business as you contribute to the strategy and design direction, how it integrates within the entire IoT portfolio, delivering a seamless experience for users. There are 1 billion PC's, 2 billion phones and an estimated 50 billion IoT devices that will transform how we connect and experience the world. Throughout the strategy, design, and development lifecycle, as the UX Designer, will be working collaboratively with your design team, alongside engineers and product managers, building future-forward experiences.
AWS provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world. Low cost. Instant Elasticity. Open & Flexible. Secure.
We work to enable our users to harness the power of the cloud, from Netflix to your next-door neighbor. Our team is a growing band of innovators, disruptors and problem solvers. We routinely design interfaces for features that would not have been possible a short time ago. If you want to work on some of the world's biggest design challenges, and make tools that builders will use to create the great products of tomorrow, join our team!
What we do:
At AWS IoT, we design the tools that allow customers-regardless of their knowledge of the cloud-to be able to connect millions of devices to AWS, collect data, and gain wisdom from that data to make better-informed business decisions. We connect everything from smart cities to autonomous vehicles to integrated smart vending machines. Our goal is to create a unified experience to ensure that customers are able to (1) connect millions of devices (2) keep their devices connected, up-to-date, and secure (3) know where their devices are in the world and what they are doing (4) take remedial action when devices are not acting as expected.
Key job responsibilities
1. Inspire and manage a team of UX designers to create useful, usable, and desirable products in a team environment
Help designers understand customers' needs through market analysis and user research, ingesting feedback from all available sources (user studies, product manager notes, sales requests, support issues, etc.). Train designers to identify jobs-to-be-done, map them to business requirements, and create user journeys to illustrate opportunities
Grow the pace and precision of designers' artifact delivery including: user flows, information architecture, visual design and data visualization, and applied machine learning (ML)
Grow designers' contributions to Amazon's Working Backwards process, by developing their ability to write and contribute to narratives (e.g. PR/FAQs) and render early concepts.
Ensure the design team effectively plans, prioritizes, and coordinates projects, communicating realistic timelines and delivering on time. Ensure designs are effective at helping users get their jobs done.
2. Collaborate with cross-functional leaders to build better customer experiences for the builders who use AWS
Craft, pitch, and validate long-term design strategies that advocate for customers' needs
Collaborate with senior leaders from Product Management and Engineering to define a cohesive product vision for customers. Present concepts, plans, and progress to executive leaders for review and feedback.
Define and create paths to improve individual services, and measure UX improvements
3. Own a portfolio of customer experiences, streamlining customer jobs-to-be-done across multiple services
Identify customer jobs and user flows that cross multiple services and are underserved. Then create artifacts that establish a vision for improvement. Influence leaders across teams to align around those customer needs. Then help each service team to deliver their part, through your team of designers.
Leverage the AWS Design System as a consistent base across services, while also innovating substantially on top with portfolio-specific patterns, illustrations, and visualizations that increase user delight.
Measure customer experience metrics and report improvements, to grow momentum and appetite for making coordinated roadmap investments across multiple services.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 6+ years of design experience
- An available online portfolio
- 8+ years of experience as a UX designer, interaction designer, information architect, or similar.
- 5+ years of experience working in direct collaboration with product leadership, development managers, and cross-functional stakeholders.
- An online portfolio demonstrating samples of design deliverables (personas, journey maps, wireframes, and prototypes) is required to apply for this role
- Bachelor's degree or commensurate experience
- Fluency in best practices for web-based information architecture and interaction design, user-centered design process, as well as strong knowledge of user experience principles and techniques.
- Professional proficiency in high-fidelity mockup and prototyping tools.
- Ability to work efficiently and demonstrate a bias for action in a fast-paced, often ambiguous environment.
- Ability to present strategy and design work to the user experience team, product team, stakeholders and executives to share progress and for review and feedback
- Strong writer, able to communicate succinctly and with specificity
- Experience designing applications with multiple user touch points with specialty in web design.
- A background in IoT, smart devices, consoles software development, cloud-based services, or equivalent industry experience
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Creative and Graphic Design