LSO FORS 3 - Planning Officer - CLOSING DATE EXTENDED
Licensed Sc Off Forester 3
, BC CA
Chilliwack, BC V4Z 1A7 CA
Multiple Locations, BC CA (Primary)
Powell River, BC V8A 5G7 CA
Squamish, BC V8B 0H3 CA
$70,683.48 - $89,678.84 annually
Regular Full Time
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Forests
Ministry Branch / Division
BC Timber Sales, Chinook Business Area
Job Summary Planning Officer
Licensed Science Officer Other 3
Amendment January 31, 2023: Posting closing date extended to February 14, 2023.
This position can be located in Chilliwack, Daajing Giids, Powell River, or Squamish.
An eligibility list may be established for similar vacancies within the BC Timber Sales Chinook Business Area (Chilliwack, Daajing Giids, Squamish, Powell River)
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .An excellent senior opportunity for a dedicated professional
BC Timber Sales (BCTS)manages about 20 per cent of the province's allowable annual cut forCrown timber,generating economic prosperity for British Columbians through the safe, sustainable development and auction of Crown timber. BCTS operates in 33 communities and directly supports over 8,000 jobs across B.C.
Data from our operations are used to help determine the market value of the timber harvested from public land and ensures British Columbiansreceive fairvalue from their timber resources.
BCTS also supports government's commitment to true, lasting reconciliation with First Nations in BCas we move toward fully adopting and implementing the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
The goal of BCTS is to provide credible representative price and cost benchmark data for the market pricing system through auctions of timber harvested from public land in BC. BCTS has three objectives supporting its goal:
- Objective 1:Sell the full BCTS apportionment over the business cycle, consistent with safe practices, sustainable forest management, and reconciliation with Indigenous peoples.
- Objective 2:Generate direct net revenue and indirect revenue for the Province over the business cycle.
- Objective 3:Continuous business improvement - within BCTS, across government and with third parties.
To find out more about our program check out the BCTS website
The Planning Officer is responsible for all the strategic and integrated planning processes required for the Business Area (BA). The position develops the Forest Stewardship Plan for the BA as well as participates in the development of higher level plans such as Land and Resource Management Plans. The Planning Officer identifies the fiduciary obligations of the BA with regard to Indigenous Peoples groups and provides leadership to the consultation process. This position is accountable for ensuring that all planning initiatives are in compliance legislative requirements as well as represents the BA during planning audits.
In addition to this exciting opportunity and amazing locations, the BC Public Service is an award-winningemployer in British Columbia, including such accolades as being one of BC's Top Employers for 2021, one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2021 and one of Canada's Top Family-Friendly Employers in 2021.
The BC Public Service offers a healthy work/life balance, excellent benefits , including one of the best pension plans available, and a variety of opportunities for career learning anddevelopment. Regular, full time Professional Employee Association members are also entitled to 7% allowance in Lieu of Overtime Shiftwork and Standby (taken as time or money), have a 35 hour work week, and 4 weeks' annual paidleave entitlement.To find out more, explore What the BC Public Service offers You
A career path in BC Timber Sales offers exceptional opportunities to develop new solutions to complex problems, and to learn and grow personally and professionally. Existing and future BCTS employees have the opportunity to impact public and private forests, communities, the economy and the lives of British Columbians in positive and unique ways.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Serviceis available to applicants that self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, status or non-status, Métis, or Inuit) seeking work or already employed in the BC Public Service. For information about the Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service please visit: Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)
Explore the opportunities and value working with our team can offer you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-9laHaKyc&feature=youtu.be .
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, requirements and qualifications, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Stacey.Gould@gov.bc.ca DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS
. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirements as outlined below:
- A Registered Professional Forester (RPF) or be eligible for registration as an RPF with the Association of BC Forest Professionals (ABCFP) and three years of experience in operational forestry such as forest tenures, cut-block and road development, engineering, silviculture, harvest operations or compliance and enforcement.
- Must possess at minimum a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License that does not limit or restrict the ability to conduct the duties of the job.
Preference may be given to candidates with the following:
- Must be willing and able to withstand the rigors of fieldwork.
- Must be willing to work in adverse weather conditions
- Must be willing and able to travel to meet job requirements.
- Must be willing and able to travel in fixed and or rotary winged aircraft and or watercraft
- A Registered Professional Forester (RPF) or be eligible for registration as an RPF with the Association of BC Forest Professionals (ABCFP) and four years of experience in operational field forestry such as forest tenures, cut-block and road development, engineering, silviculture, harvest operations or compliance and enforcement.
- Forestry experience includes timber sales planning, forestry planning or integrated resource management.
- Experience in program administration including allocating resources, managing/supervising staff and administering budgets.
- Experience working with Indigenous Peoples
Please include your registration number with theAssociation of BC Forest Professionals ( ABCFP ) within your applicationas you must be registered or immediately eligible for registration as a Registered Professional Forester (RPF) with the ABCFP. If you are not yet registered with the ABCFP, please explain how you are immediately eligible (i.e. currently a registered RPF member in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and can immediately transfer tothe ABCFP ).
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Cover letter required:NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed. Please select "SKIP" on the cover letter screen to continue with your application.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Online Questionnaire: YES
- As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete an online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements.
Natural Resource Sector, Scientific and Technical